I was getting the Failed to Retrieve Share List from Server when I was trying to move files from my mac to mint 13 pc.
I am trying using the existing samba protocol.
Here is how I fixed it.
I just added the ip address of the mac on my hosts file
sudo vi /etc/hosts
this will bring the hosts file. Then add the ip address and the host name of the computer you are trying to communicate.
Say the ip address of the computer you are trying to connect is 192.168.2.5
Then reboot your *nix
I was having some issues with Ubuntu and I wanted to re-install it. The thing is I have a lot of files there and wanted to use networking to move the data to my Vista box.
I have gone through the following steps to do so:
Assume you have a folder named data_ubuntu where all your folders and files are residing.
** in my case the computers are using wireless network
1. Go to System->Synaptic Package Manager and select and install samba from the list if it hasn’t been done already.
2. Make sure the samba version is above 3.2 and if not upgrade it.
3. Then log out and log in
4. Go to your data_ubuntu folder right click on it
5. Select sharing option and do accordingly. In my case I have set share this folder and guest for easy access.
6. Go to terminal [Applications->Accessories->Terminal] and set access permission to the shared file for others:
sudo chmod -R 775 /path/to/file/to/share/
7. This is all regarding the ubuntu part.
8 Go to your network browser from your vista machine [ Go to start menu and select Network from the right pane] and you should be able to see the name of your ubuntu machine. It may take some minutes before loading your ubuntu machine.
All set to go!